Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hairdryers

Hairdryers
Which one to buy?!?!

Well here's your answer, or at least a little help to get you on your way!  I know when you go into a store and look at hairdryers it can be very overwhelming.  There are so many different styles, shapes, sizes and brands on the shelves to choose from.  Just because one dryer is more elaborate and more expensive then the other doesn't always mean its the better choice!  My hairdryer at home recently died so I just grabbed one out of the closet to use, which was probably from when I was in high school (about 9 years ago!).  I didn't even realize that I was using this plain jane hairdryer for probably about 2 weeks or longer.  Just out of habit my dryer is always in the same spot and I didn't realize it wasn't the greatest.  Well I did soon enough because my hair paid for it.  It began to get very dry and felt like hay in some areas.  I hadn't colored my hair recently so I didn't know what was going on.  I started using moisture treatments and oils and nothing was helping.  It wasn't until my friend Natalie started talking about her hair dryer and how it was frying her hair that I realized, duh!  So is mine!  I know, I know, what a bad hairdresser of me!  So anyone can fall into this trap and not realize it until its to late.  

I have gotten together a few tips to help you along the way when your shopping for a new dryer.  Also if you have a hairdryer at home make sure it has some of these options I'm talking about.  1st make sure it gets above 1800 watts, 2nd make sure it has multi heat speeds and a cool shot button, 3rd look to see if it comes with a concentrator attachment to help straighten your hair as you dry it or a diffuser attachment for curly hair.  There are many different prices of hairdryers.  The price is not most important, but does have a little to do with picking one out.  A $5-$20 hairdryer is very inexpensive at first, but can cost you a great deal in the end.  It can scorch your hair and pull it into the fan cage causing it to break off.  A $20-$80 hairdryer is normally suitable for someone who just dries their hair daily.  It has a few different settings with heat and cooling.  Also more and more are being developed with ionic and ceramic features.  A $80-$100+ hairdryer is considered a Professional dryer.  Normally these can only be bought by a professional at a beauty supply store or at a salon who retails them.  They are made for repeated daily drying use, as hairdressers do over and over on clients daily.  The pro dryer is normally more quiet and dries hair in half the time with the ionic and ceramic features.  

What is ionic and ceramic ?!  Every hairdryer produces charged particles, either positive or negative.  A $5-$20 hairdryer uses a positive charge which causes the cuticle covering the hair shaft to open, which then causes the frizzy and dull appearance over time.  $20-$80 hairdryers normally use negative charged ions.  The ionic charge causes the cuticle to remain flat, trapping moisture to eliminate frizz and add more body.  It helps dry the hair faster, shiner, smoother and banish static electricity.   The ceramic technology distributes a radiant heat which protects the hair shaft causing it to feel lighter, softer and more manageable. 

Then there is the option tourmaline that most hairdryers are offering these days.  Tourmaline generates a higher number of negative ions to expedite hair drying with sleek shiner hair.  Most hairdryers offer both ionic and tourmaline options together.  So keys things to remember when looking for a dryer: Watts, ionic,and tourmaline.  I purchased a new hairdryer once I realized that my old one was drying my hair out.  I bought the Infiniti Nano Silver by Conair Tourmaline Ceramic Hair Styler.  Suggested retail price $52.99.  At the salon I use the Chi Pro.  Suggested retail price $150.00.  I can already tell a difference in my hair from using the Infiniti nano Silver dryer.    

Make sure to take care of your hairdryer to make it last longer.  Keep it clean, especially the cage/vent on the back.  You can use a old (dry) tooth brush to clean it.  Keeping that clean from lent and hair will help the air flow thru correctly.  Hope this helps!

Infiniti Nano Silver

Chi Pro


No comments:

Post a Comment