Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Secret To Great Skin:

The Secret Is Out!
The Steps To Having Great Skin

If you want smooth healthy skin this summer then listen up!  I recently read an article in the April issue of Allure about "Your Great Skin Must-Haves".  I thought to myself what a great topic for my blog that will benefit everyone!  My own secret to getting great skin is facials!  I have battled with acne for years now.  It seems to never go away!  I had tried everything from drug store stuff, over the counter stuff, even fad tricks people said that worked for them.  Nothing helped!  Not even the drug Accutane worked for me!  So with that being said I was always on the look out for help with my skin.  Sure I have had facials before but never like the facials I receive from Pat at The Refuge.  Her facials are almost two hours long and consist of different techniques each time.  I have been going to see her for over two years now and can proudly say I finally have my skin under control!  I normally go every 6-8 weeks for a routine core facial treatment.  Don't get me wrong of course they are relaxing but not all fluff and buff!  It's more of a treatment that is customized to my skin at that time of the appointment.  I finally have found something that works and has evened my skin tone out.  I have learned so much from Pat and also being a cosmetologist myself know a lot about skin care.  At the Refuge Pat has designed her own skin care line with the help of a scientist and I absolutely love everything she sells!  It's called R Skin.  Here are a few things that works for me and a little from the Allure article.

First: Gentle Cleanser
Allure suggests: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
I use: 
A glycolic cleanser for at night and a chamomile cleansing lotion during the day.  I have sensitive to dry skin so using two cleansers helps even out my skin tone.  The glycolic cleanser is a gentle exfoliant and helps to balance and condition the skin. The chamomile cleanser gently and throughly cleanses the skin.  It also has Vitamin A and E in it that help to moisture and balance my skin.  

Second: Mild Exfoliator
Allure suggests: La Roche-Posay Effaclar Toner
I use:
 Daily Microfoliant by Dermalogica.  It is a rice based powder that activates with water and releases the ingredients on your skin.  

Blueberry and Coffee Bean Exfoliating cleanser.  The deep cleansing lotion contains many high powered antioxidants.  The small beads help to exfoliate the dead skin cells.  

Micro Dermabrasion cremes.  Have a gritty texture that gently exfoliates the skin without irritating it.  
With any exfoliant you only want to use it 2-3 times a week.  Removing your dead skin cells on your face everyday can be harmful to your skin and cause irritation.  

Three: Moisturizer with SPF
Allure suggests: Replenix CF Advanced Anti-Photoaging Complex with SPF 45
I use:
Herbal Silk moisturizer, Moisture Perfecting Creme, Moisture Replenishing Creme.  Yes, I use three different lotions for different times of the year!  I told you my skin can be crazy!  The silk Moisturizer is amazing for my dehydrated skin in the winter months.  It helps to refresh my skin and add a smooth silk feeling to the texture.  Moisture Perfecting Creme is great for my skin in the fall and summer as is the Moisture Replenishing Creme depending on how my skin feels that day.  No, everyone does not need to go out any buy three different moisturizers, this is just what works best for my own skin.
SPF: I personally like to put my sunscreen on separatly then my moisturizer.  I like to use a SPF of 65 everyday under my lotion, especially in the summer.

Four: Anti-Aging Night Cream
Allure suggests: Philosophy Help Me Retinol night Treatment 
I use:
   Retinol resurfacing Complex.  Retinol is all the rag right now with skin care.  I have been using it for almost a year and love it for at night time.  It gently smooths your face, evens your skin tone, and restores your skins youthful texture.  You truly can see a difference within days.  

Next is a few things I have found on my own and with the help of Pat that also help. 
The Clarsonic Mia.  This tool is amazing and a key essential in my skin care regimen.  Pat suggested I start to use the Clarsonic over a year ago.  I thought wow it's $149 at Sephora, can I pay that much for this tool.  Boy am I glad I broke down and bought it.  I have seen so much improvement in my pores and overall skins texture.  The Clarsonic is good for all skin types and is recommended by most dermatologists and estheticians.  I chose to get the Mia, the smaller version of the Clarsonic.  Pat said that was all I needed and would be good for my smaller hands.  You should start out using this tool twice a week and then can add in a extra day once your skin is used to the Clarsonic.  It is a exfoliant and is stripping your skin cells and oils every time you use it.  Thats why estheticians recommend you only use it 2-3 times a week if that.  If your skin is too oily and your stripping your dead skin cells everyday your skin then works in over time and will reproduced more oil to make up for it.  Same goes for if you have dry skin, stripping your natural oils and cells with only cause your face to be even more drier.  I personally recommend everyone go buy a Clarsonic Mia!  Just use it with your everyday cleanser and see the results right in front of your eyes.

Of course there are many other things I use on a daily basis for my skin but I can reveal ALL my secrets! :)

Where to buy products:  All of my R Skin care products have to be bought directly from Pat at The Refuge.  Dermalogica can be purchased at Beauty First and many professional salons.  The No. 7 Microdermabrassion product is from Targets No.7 line.  When using new skin care products its always best to consult with a dermatologist or esthetician first.

Sorry some of the bottles look a little funny, as i said before I am using these products!




      

No comments:

Post a Comment