Buns, Knots and Chignon's
It's all the rage right now! The old school dancer bun is making a come back. Sleek or messy are in all the fashion magazines and on the runways this fall. I personally like wearing my hair in a cute little knot when I don't have time to dry my hair all the way! The steps to creating a Chignon:
Things you will need:
Hair pins, Headband, or sticks
Round brush, brush, comb
Hair spray, hair mousse
Anti frizz serum
1. Begin with damp hair, apply a quarter amount of mousse and either blow dry hair or let air dry for a more messy look. For a more sleek look try blow drying with a round brush.
2. Once dry brush your hair back into a low ponytail. For messy look just gather with your fingers into a low ponytail. I like to secure the ponytail with a clear elastic. Then get a firm grip around the base of the ponytail and use your other hand to twist the tail into a tight spiral.
3. Hold the base of the ponytail with one hand, then lift the tail straight up with the other. Begin to coil it clockwise around the base. When you've made half of a circle, release the hand holding the base and use it to hold the forming bun as you continue to coil the tail of the chignon.
4. Complete one rotation, keep twisting if you have longer hair, then tuck the end of the tail under the chignon. If your hair is long enough, you might be able to push the tail through the bun and make a knot.
5. Secure the chignon using a few hair pins or a hair sticks. Push one pin through at any outside edge, collecting a small amount of the bun as you make the insertion. Secure the opposite side with a second pin. If you're using a hair stick, push the tip up through a corner of the chignon. Rotate the stick 180 degrees and push it gently through the base of the bun.
6. Then take a old toothbrush and put a little anti frizz serum on the bristles and smooth out your fly aways.
Sounds a little complicated but once you start playing around with it you will find your own little technique!
Here are some beautiful examples of sleek buns:
and a few messy:
Others added a little braid or twist:
Jessica Simpsons Hairdo brand even has a clip in chignon:
The cheaters way to a perfect bun:
These great little doughnuts can be found at most retailers that sell hair products. You simply make a ponytail. Slide the doughnut on the ponytail and then start wrapping the hair around it until the doughnut is completely covered. Then pin the hair in place and tada! Perfect bun!
You can add a little spice to your bun or chignon by pulling it to the side of your head or parting your hair on a deep side part. Have fun with this style and remember it doesn't always have to be perfect!!